Features and Benefits
- Ultralow current consumption (typical):
- 32 μA: continuous conversion mode (gain = 128)
- 5 μA: duty cycling mode (ratio = 1/16)
- 0.5 μA: standby mode
- 0.1 μA: power-down mode
- Built-in features for system level power savings:
- Current saving duty cycle ratio: 1/4 or 1/16
- Smart sequencer and per channel configuration minimizes host processor load
- Deep embedded FIFO minimizes host processor load (depth of 256 samples)
- Autonomous FIFO interrupt functionality, threshold detection
- Single supply as low as 1.71 V increasing battery length
- RMS noise: 25 nV rms at 1.17 SPS (gain = 128) – 48 nV/√Hz
- Up to 22 noise free bits (gain = 1)
- Output data rate: 1.17 SPS to 2.4 kSPS
- Operates from 1.71 V to 3.6 V single supply or ±1.8 V split supplies
- Band gap reference with 15 ppm/°C maximum drift
- PGA with rail-to-rail analog input
- Adaptable sensor interfacing functionality:
- Matched programmable excitation currents for RTDs
- On-chip bias voltage generator for thermocouples
- Low-side power switch for bridge transducers
- Sensor open wire detection
- Internal temperature sensor and oscillator
- Self and system calibration
- Flexible filter options
- Simultaneous 50 Hz/60 Hz rejection (on selected filter options)
- General-purpose outputs
- Diagnostic functionality
- Crosspoint multiplexed inputs
- 8 differential/16 pseudo differential inputs
- 5 MHz SPI (3-wire or 4-wire)
- Available in 35-ball, 2.74 mm × 3.6 mm WLCSP
- Temperature range: −40°C to +105°C
The AD4130-8 is an ultra low power, high precision, measurement solution for low bandwidth battery operated applications. The fully integrated analog front end (AFE) includes a multiplexer for up to 16 single-ended or eight differential inputs, programmable gain amplifier (PGA), 24-bit sigma-delta (Σ-Δ) analog-to-digital converter (ADC), on-chip reference and oscillator, selectable filter options, smart sequencer, sensor biasing and excitation options, diagnostics, and newly added features to improve the battery-operated lifetime (more than 5 years on a coin cell), that is, a first in, first out (FIFO) buffer and duty cycling.
The AD4130-8 allows users to measure low frequency signals with a current consumption of 28.5 μA (gain = 1) and 32.5 μA (gain = 128) while continuously converting, and even lower average currents when using one of the duty cycling options. The AD4130-8 can be configured to have 8 differential inputs or 16 single-ended or pseudo differential inputs, which connect to a crosspoint multiplexer, where any input pair can become a measurement channel input to the PGA and ADC.
The AD4130-8 is designed to allow the user to operate from a single analog supply voltage from 1.71 V to 3.6 V. In battery applications, operation as low as 1.71 V can extend the system lifetime as the AFE can continue its operation, even as the battery voltage dissipates. The digital supply can be separate and range from 1.65 V to 3.6 V.
Together with the reduced current consumption, the integration of an on-chip FIFO buffer can be used in tandem with the smart sequencer, to enable the AD4130-8 to become an autonomous measurement system, which allows the microcontroller to sleep for extended periods.
Intelligent interrupt functionality gives the user a greater confidence in both error detection and safety. The user can enable an interrupt signal to trigger when the samples in the FIFO reach a predefined value or when a user programmable threshold is exceeded.
The following key analog functions are offered on the AD4130-8 to allow simple and effective connection to transducers used for measuring temperature, load, and pressure:
- PGA. Due to the programmable gain (from 1 to 128) and the high input impedance with low input current, the PGA allows direct interfacing to transducers with low output amplitudes like resistive bridges, thermocouples, and resistance temperature detectors (RTDs).
- The capacitive PGA allows full common-mode input range, giving designers greater margin for widely varying input common modes. A wider common-mode input range improves the overall resolution and is highly effective in ratio metric measurements.
- Low drift precision current sources. The IEXC0 and IEXC1 current source can be used to excite 2‑, 3‑, and 4‑wire RTDs. Excitation current output options include 100 nA, 10 μA, 20 μA, 50 μA, 100 μA, 150 μA, and 200 μA.
- The low-side power switch (PDSW) can be used to power down bridge sensors between conversions. The PDSW can be controlled within the sequencer on a per channel basis, allowing optimum timing and energy savings in the overall system. The PDSW can also allow higher powered analog sensors to be used in a low power system.
- Voltage bias for thermocouples (the VBIAS source sets the common-mode voltage of a channel to AVDD/2).
- The smart sequencer allows the conversion of each enabled preconfigured channel in a predetermined order, allowing a mix of transducer, system checks and diagnostic measurements to be interleaved. The sequencer eliminates need for repetitive serial interface communication with the device. Sixteen channels can be configured in the sequence, each of them selecting from eight predefined ADC setups that allow selection of gain, filter type, output data rate, buffering, timing, and reference source.
High levels of integrated front-end functionality coupled with small package options allow smaller end solutions. For example, the AD4130-8 integrates a low thermal drift band gap reference in addition to accepting an external differential reference, which can be internally buffered.
In safety critical applications the AD4130-8 includes diagnostic functionality such as open wire detection via burnout currents, internal temperature sensor, reference detection, and analog input overvoltage and undervoltage detection. Added diagnostics are included on the digital interface like cyclic redundancy check (CRC) and serial interface checks for a robust communication link.
- Smart transmitters
- Wireless battery and harvester powered sensor nodes
- Portable instrumentation
- Temperature measurement: thermocouple, RTD, thermistors
- Pressure measurement: bridge transducers
- Healthcare and wearables
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-AD4130-8WARDZ evaluation kit features the AD4130-8 24-bit, ultra-low power, low noise analog-to-digital converter (ADC).
The EVAL-AD4130-8WARDZ board connects to the USB port of the PC by connecting to the EVAL-SDP-CK1Z motherboard. A 5V USB supply via the PC is regulated to 3.3 V to supply the AD4130-8 and support all necessary components.
The AD4130-8 ACE Plugin fully configures the AD4130-8 device register functionality and provides dc time domain analysis in the form of waveform graphs, histograms, and associated noise analysis for ADC performance evaluation.
The EVAL-AD4130-8WARDZ is an evaluation board that allows the user to evaluate the features of the ADC. The user PC software executable controls the AD4130-8 over the USB through the EVAL-SDP-CK1Z System Demonstration Platform (SDP) board.
- Temperature measurements, such as thermocouple, RTD and thermistors
- Pressure measurement, such as bridge transducers
- Smart transmitters in healthcare and wearables
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for the AD4130-8
- PC control in conjunction with the system demonstration platform (EVAL-SDP-CK1Z)
- PC software for control and data analysis (time domain)
- Standalone capability
Documentation & Resources
EVAL-AD4130-8 - User Guide5/24/2022WIKI
What Are the Most Important Timing Factors for Low Power Precision Signal Chain Applications? Part 29/1/2022 Analog Dialogue
What Are the Most Important Timing Factors for Low Power Precision Signal Chain Applications? Part 18/1/2022 Analog Dialogue
Software & Systems Requirements
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.View our quality and reliability program and certifications for more information.
|Part Number||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||Pin/Package Drawing||CAD Symbols, Footprints & 3D Models|
|AD4130-8BCBZ-RL7||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||35-Ball WLCSP (2.70 mm x 3.56mm x 0.50 mm)|
|Wafer Fabrication Data|
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.